Size: Parker is still in a size 2 diaper - other moms - how long did your little ones stay in each size? I'm perfectly fine w/ him staying in a 2 b/c my mom and I got mixed up on the diapers and ended up each opening new boxes (the jumbo kind from Sams), so I have a lot to use up!! Hopefully I'll use them all before he outgrows them! I am definitely a HUGGIES fan now. I really didn't care in the beginning, but now that Parker sleeps all night (usually), he doesn't get a diaper change during that time and Pampers just gets really "soggy" (for lack of a better word) and it's just plain "gross!" Parker is still, for the most part, in 6 month clothing, but I am noticing that some items are getting to "short" for my tall boy!
Breastfeeding: We're still going strong!! I can tell that my supply is beginning to decrease, though, so I am adding fenugreek back into my routine for a while. Hopefully, I will get it straightened out. I got really sick this past week (Sept. 27-29) and got very dehydrated (couldn't keep anything down), so we have yet another hurdle to overcome. I've made it to 6 months which was my very first goal back when I was pregnant (it's so awesome to look back and see that I was able to make it to each little goal I set for myself - believe me, some days, I just didn't know if I could make it another day)! I was reading an article the other day and it was talking about the pros of breastfeeding and listed some facts. Fact: The number of moms who attempt to breastfeed has more than tripled since 1971! While I am NO expert, I do want to share a few bullet points to encourage all to try :)
- no brainer here....transfers important antibodies to baby
- triggers the release of hormones that help ward off mom's baby blues
- helps reduce the risk of breast and ovarian cancer
Firsts: Parker enjoyed many firsts this month! We ventured up to Lake Martin over Labor Day weekend and stayed with my parents. Parker enjoyed his first boat ride!! My mom also got him a jumperoo which he LOVES!! I'll post some pictures below - he was so cute!!

AND..... Parker had his first "almost crawl" on 9/24/11!!! He is SOOOOO close to crawling - if he can only figure out how to get his knees to coordinate with his arms! My sweet boy is growing way too fast. The pic below looks like he's doing "pushups!"
Parker had his first virus on 9/29-9/30. I feel awful b/c I know he got if from me, but what can you do? He threw up from 11pm to 2am every 30 minutes. He seemed fine in between and wanted to eat again after throwing up, but near 2am I could really tell my sweet boy felt bad. I just cried and cried and felt like such a bad mom b/c then I had to turn around and go to work Friday b/c I had already missed work on Wednesday due to my own virus. I knew Justin was perfectly capable taking care of him, but no mom wants to leave her baby :( Luckily, he did not get sick anymore after that 4 hour span and they had a great day - which made me feel a little better. Interesting fact I learned during this: continue breastfeeding even when sick b/c antibodies pass though mother's milk for whatever her body is battling! I had felt VERY guilty for nursing Parker while I was sick, but I was unable to pump b/c I felt so bad sitting upright. Another fact I read was that babies tend to experience illness much faster than adults - which explains why Parker only had a 4 hour span of vomiting and then seemed fine ( I feel my nursing and super antibodies assisted with his quick recovery too...lol)! The one piece of information that helped me the most was reading that children are already exposed to the virus before a parent shows symptoms - so attempting to keep a distance from Parker at my worst did not matter. I did wait until my fever went down before I held him, but it's so hard to stay away when your baby depends on you for food!
I can't remember if I mentioned this in a previous post, but just wanted to let other moms know how much success we've had with our Sophie Giraffe!! You can find out more at http://sophiegiraffeusa.com/. I hear that babies either LOVE it or could care less and Parker LOVES his!!
Foods: Parker still isn't on a "regular" solids routine. I do have my mom give him some fruit each morning after his bottle, but we don't always eat solids at night. I am introducing him to more foods though! He tried sweet potatoes (w/ a little apple mixed in) on Wednesday, September 7th. He loved them, but when my mom let him have some the next day, he hated them! I also let Parker try to drink out of his sippy cup on September 5th. It says you can begin at 6 months and I'm hoping that if he's at least familiar with it, we'll have an easier time transitioning the bottle away from him when he's older.
As of 9/30 - we've added oatmeal to his morning fruit and he loves it! I broke down and bought some organic, whole grain oatmeal in a box (I intended to make my own), but it's just really easier since my mom feeds him in the am and we are doing fine so far! Parker also got to try spaghetti this month (sans meat) and he really likes it! I also purchased some "rice rusks" today and let him try one. He scared me to death trying to stick it all in his mouth, but he loves getting to hold something own his own. I just watch him very close! I don't think it's the taste he loves so much - it's the fact that he can HOLD it and do whatever he wants with it! Here he is eating his first one last night (side pic: 9/30/11) and a video of him eating one today (below: 10/1):
Checkup: Parker had his 6 month check up on 9-21-11. He was 15lbs 9oz (18 %) and he was 26.5 inches long(54%). Dr. Wiggins said it was perfectly normal for him to fall in the 18% range since I opted to hold off on the solids until 5.5 months. We DID not like the shots, but he did amazing handling them!
Mommy's Projects:
I have a secret wish to be an amazing seamstress....it will NEVER HAPPEN....but if I can at least get to a point that I can sew something... anything... together and it will be good enough to use in public, then I will be satisfied! I've attempted 3 jon jon outfits in the last 2 years - FAIL on all 3 of them! The funny thing is that I was able to learn more following an online tutorial from a blog. The version that's easiest to me is the reversable type - go figure! I have patterns....but I don't really understand them and I have zero desire to learn on my own. I'm a very hands on learner - monkey see...monkey do (yes, I realize I just called myself a monkey...lol)! I seem to do fine with the top portion of it - it's the legs I ruin EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!
I decided to make pants instead. They turned out pretty good if I do say so myself (until you look on the inside...ha ha....true disaster)! I started by purchasing a pattern that had other items I thought I may enjoy making and then tried to "tweak" the pattern to match my favorite pants! Below are some pics of my journey :)
![]() |
| My Model :) |
New Friends: Parker's new buddy, Logan James Young, was born on September 12th. His parents, Adam & Holly, are good friends of ours and we are so excited for them as they begin their new journey in parenthood. Below is a picture we took on September 1st - the last time we were with them before Logan's arrival! I wanted to get a photo of "before and after" with Parker! Logan looks so tiny compared to Parker and it just breaks my heart to realize that my baby is 6 MONTHS OLD and growing up way too quickly. As proud as I am when he does anything new, a part of me wants to tell him to stop and just stay "baby!"
We'll have to get a photo of them together soon!!







No comments:
Post a Comment